Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thoughts on procreation

Reading beanienus post got me thinking…


I’ve always wanted a #2. I grew up with a sister who is 5 years my senior and often felt I was the ‘only’ child. While she was reaching puberty (12 years old), I was only 7, barely stepping into primary school. So, I’ve always wanted 2 kids with a closer age gap. J is turning 4 in March 2013 and I’m in no way preggie yet, which means the age gap may end up 5 or more or none at all.


I’ve discussed with the HB on this and often it lays back to the problem of finances and a whole lot of worries from my end.


Financial

We are the sandwich couple whom need to provide for 2 old folks with my FIL going through dialysis. His medical bills are close to $2k per month and it’s greatly shared by my SIL & HB.

J’s monthly childcare fees are $600 after subsidy. With #2, it means we need another $600 or definitely more for infantcare, babysitter or helper.

Logistics

I was the main caregiver for J for the first 3 years. I had to clean poo, feed & shower him and put him to sleep every day without fail while no one in the family could help. J only wants me to bring him to childcare every morning. On days when I had to work early, I had to sneak out of the house to prevent him from tagging along.

With #2, it means I have to bring J to childcare and #2 to infantcare which will most likely be 2 different locations.


Phobia

I had my fair share of Post-Natal Depression and am really afraid of going through it again. And this time, it may be double the blow since there’s #1 to manage too.


As beanienus mentioned, will we want J to grow up alone and handles everything on his own?

No comments:

Post a Comment